Duet 3 firmware configuration limitations
RepRapFirmware (as at version 3.3.1) for Duet 3 currently has the following limitations when tool boards or expansion boards are used.
We do not intend to remove these in future firmware versions.
- After upgrading firmware on an expansion or tool board, its configuration settings are lost. You must restart the main board, or at least re-run config.g. Duet Web Control usually restarts the main board automatically after auto-installing firmware on an expansion or tool board..
- A heater on an expansion or tool board can only be controlled by a temperature sensor on the same expansion board. This is a safety precaution.
- Filament monitors must be connected to the same board as the corresponding extruder motor.
We have no plans to remove the following limitations, although removing them would be technically possible.
- A thermostatically-controlled fan on an expansion board can only be controlled by a temperature sensor on the same expansion board.
- Z probes connected to expansion or tool boards are limited to types 8 and 9.
- DHT temperature/humidity sensors connected to expansion boards are not supported
We plan to remove these in future firmware releases.
Filament monitors for extruders driven by expansion boards and tool boards are not yet supported. Support is planned in release 3.2.0.[Implemented in 3.2beta3] Software reset data is not available for expansion boards. This is planned for release 3.2.0.[Implemented in release 3.2beta1]
- Heater tuning is not yet supported on expansion or tool boards (M303). Support is planned in release 3.3. For now, use the manual turning procedure instead.
- The main board does not react to heater faults on expansion boards by pausing the print.
- Endstop switches and Z probes connected to the main board cannot control motors on an expansion board. This is planned to be fixed in release 3.4.
- If you use a Z probe then the Z motors must be connected to the main board. This is planned to be fixed in release 3.4.
- Stalls of expansion board motors are not yet reported and cannot be used for homing.
- Change of stepper driver status on expansion boards are not proactively reported (but can be queried using M122). e.g. Overheat warnings, short to ground etc.
- MCU temperatures and monitored voltages on expansion boards are not yet reported in the object model (but can be queried using M122).