Duet 3 firmware configuration limitations
RepRapFirmware (as at version 3.3.1) for Duet 3 currently has the following limitations when tool boards or expansion boards are used.
We do not intend to remove these in future firmware versions.
- After upgrading firmware on an expansion or tool board, its configuration settings are lost. You must restart the main board, or at least re-run config.g. Duet Web Control usually restarts the main board automatically after auto-installing firmware on an expansion or tool board..
- A heater on an expansion or tool board can only be controlled by a temperature sensor on the same expansion board. This is a safety precaution.
- Filament monitors must be connected to the same board as the corresponding extruder motor.
We have no plans to remove the following limitations, although removing them would be technically possible.
- A thermostatically-controlled fan on an expansion board can only be controlled by a temperature sensor on the same expansion board.
- Z probes connected to expansion or tool boards are limited to types 8 and 9.
- DHT temperature/humidity sensors connected to expansion boards are not supported
We plan to remove these in future firmware releases.
- Filament monitors for extruders driven by expansion boards and tool boards are not yet supported. Support is planned in release 3.2.0. [Implemented in 3.2beta3]
- Heater tuning is not yet supported on expansion or tool boards (M303). Support is planned in release 3.3. For now, use the manual turning procedure instead.
- Endstop switches and Z probes connected to the main board cannot control motors on an expansion board. This is planned to be fixed in release 3.4.
- If you use a Z probe then the Z motors must be connected to the main board. This is planned to be fixed in release 3.4.
- Stalls of expansion board motors are not yet reported and cannot be used for homing
- Overheat warnings from stepper drivers on expansion boards are not proactively reported (but can be queried using M122)
- Software reset data is not available for expansion boards. This is planned for release 3.2.0. [Implemented in release 3.2beta1]